Inside the FactoryWe produce all of our Ready-to-Wear, Knitwear, Swim and a portion of our Lingerie garments in our factory in Suzhou, China. However, unlike other factories in China, it’s held to rigorous standards to ensure that it’s clean, operates efficiently and provides its employees with fair wages and a great work environment. We have never and will never use sweatshops!
About our Factory
The factory was established in 2010, but in 2017 the owner, Victor, decided to move the growing operation into a brand new space. While the previous factory was held to the same high standards of safety and good working conditions, the new factory offers even more space, light and ammenities for its employees.
We started working Victor, who has been in the clothing production business for over 30 years, in 2013 because his factory was by far the most impressive. He maintained a clean, safe workspace, his machinery was up-to-date and it was apparent his employees were happy and looked up to him as a boss and mentor. When we visit the factory in China or when he visits us in LA, we always look forward to his hospitality and generosity.
Victor is extremely progressive in his approach to running a factory. His factory is approved by the Business Social Compliance Initiative (BSCI), an initiative established by the Federal Trade Organization (FTA) for companies who wish to improve their social compliance. The BSCI is a standardized code of conduct with 11 categories that range from workplace health and safety to compensation to environmental and safety issues. Victor achieved his BSCI-approved factory by electing to have an audit done by Accredium Global Compliance Services (AGCS), an independent auditing company. AGCS ensured all standards of the BSCI were met. For the complete BSCI Code of Conduct, click here!
Victor’s top priority is to make his work environment comfortable, safe and community-conscious. His factory:
- Has ample office and production space and is fully climate controlled.
- Has brand new sewing machines that are safer and improve production efficiency.
- Has newly installed large windows to increase natural light and reduce energy consumption.
- Offers free lunch every day! If employees work later than expected, the factory will also provide dinner and overtime compensation.
- Additionally, all leftover food is donated to their local animal shelter.
- Recycles all office paper, shipping cartons, and other eligible materials.
- Participates in gift-giving programs during major holidays and festivals.
- Absolutely NEVER uses child labor.
Victor cares about his employees and strives for a flexible and fulfilling work environment for all. While many factories in China withhold payment from their employees for months on end so employees stay through peak seasons to redeem their rightful paychecks, Victor’s factory NEVER withholds payment. He pays on time, twice a month. Additionally, the factory:
- Offers its employees medical insurance and social security.
- Hosts an annual picnic every year for all of its employees to help foster a family-like environment.
- Hosts an annual Chinese New Year dinner that entails gift-giving, raffles, and games. During the dinner, Victor hands out the employees’ annual bonuses.
- Encourages its employees to utilize “green” ways to get to work by providing electric bike charging stations.
Why We Opt for China
We thoroughly vetted our factory because we care about the people making our clothes. We strongly believe we have found the perfect factory that offers a safe, fulfilling work environment for its employees. We also opt for producing in China because we have found that it offers more advanced technology options that can produce the highly intricate design features (hand-drawn embroideries, appliqués, custom lace engineering) that we want to incorporate into our collections.
We now also work with Bennett and Company in order to meet the demand for our collaboration with Victoria's Secret. They are committed to their global mission to design and manufacture garments in their wholly-owned Guangzhou manufacturing facility while being socially and environmentally responsible. They operate globally with compassion guided by conscience, honor and respect their team and have created a global organization where people are happy to work. They expect no less from our raw material partners, and only work with fabric, lace and trim factories that uphold the same environmental and humanitarian and social values that they do. For more information visit their website here.